As soon as possible check if your country needs VISA and on which conditions you can stay in Czech Republic. You need students, not touristic visa
According to Czech law, you have to carry “a valid travel document“ with you all the time – your passport or biometric card. For absence of your passport you might be fined 3000czk.

Make sure if your country citizens need VISA for long-term stay in Czech Republic

  • You might need to register in first 3-5 days here, check your VISA!!
  • If didn’t hear for a long time from police while you are on extension, call them and check your post box.
  • Ask someone, who speaks czech to call to police as people in foreign police call center don’t speak English

For all who need VISA:

Ministry Of Immigration for Foreign Student is located on Hládkov 682/9, 169 00 Praha 6-Střešovice. There is no life line, you can get there only by appointment.

Going to the Ministry of Interior ( to pick up all forms is suggested. Submitted documents cannot be copies or internet printouts: only original and notarized copies are valid. (Note: you don’t get anything back, so always provide notarized copies.) If the documents aren’t in Czech, they must be officially translated. Also, no documentation can be older than six months. This applies to both EU and non-EU citizens. After having lived in the country for five years on an uninterrupted basis, or for other reasons, EU and non-EU foreign nationals can apply for permanent residence in the Czech Republic.

EU Citizens:

If you’re an EU citizen (or citizen of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland) you have the right to apply for a “certificate of temporary residence” at the Ministry of the Interior. The certificate is valid for an unlimited period and issued as a free-standing document. EU residents applying for residence in the Czech Republic are also assigned a rodné číslo (birth number).

To apply submit an application and the following:

  • Proof of 5-years continuous residence in CR
  • Proof that you have accommodation in the Czech Republic
  • Your passport
  • Passport-sized photos
  • Proof of non-criminal record

As usual, none of the applicable documents can be older than six months.

Documents for year biometric card:

  • Proof of accommodation (contract)
  • Study confirmation
  • Passport-sized photo
  • Paper from bank about having 90000czk on the personal bank account
  • Bank card from the same
  • Health insurance
  • Filled green blank which you can find in police department (or ask at your insurance)
  • Passport

Biometric card:

  • In case of moving from one place to another, you need to go make an appointment in foreign police to change you residents. Price: 1000 CZK
  • Making new biometric card – 2500 CZK
  • in case you lost it – 4000 CZK
    • They don’t except cash – only stamps on the amount of money.


US citizens:

For safety reasons register your trip at US Embassy. By registering your trip , you help the embssy or consulate to locate you when you might need it them the most. (In cases of emergency, natural disaster, terrorism, etc)

How to register your stay in the Czech Republic with the U.S. Embassy:

  • Login or create an account at: The wizard will guide you through the process with helpful information.
  • When you have an account, register your trip by click on Add Trip in the top menu.
  • The wizard will guide you through the process.
  • Do not forget to confirm and read all statements you are asked to.
  • Mandatory Registration of Visa in the Czech Republic: Upon the issuing of your Czech visa you might have agreed to the requirement of the registering your visa for long-term residents at the
  • Foreign Police within 3 days after your arrival in the Czech Republic. To register is your responsibility and legal sanction may be a fine or even a deportation from EU for ten years!